Unless you've been living under a rock, you will no doubt be aware that video should be a key part of your social media strategy. Facebook video receives 135% more organic reach than images, and it's estimated that video will account for 80% of content online by 2020. According to Wordstream, social video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined!
But that's not all!
Did you know that 85% of Facebook users watch videos with their sound off and statistics are similar across other social channels? Adding captions to your videos is a great way to ensure users notice your video in a busy news feed. Not only do captions increase engagement by up to 12% they also improve SEO (if your video includes closed captions) as Google can index the text-based captions to understand what the video is about. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Many people aren't sure how to add captions to videos so today I'm going to share four ways that you can add captions to your videos, so they reach the widest possible audience.
Apple Clips is an iOS app that allows you to add captions to videos in real-time. It's super quick, easy to use and has the added bonus of producing square videos which are perfect for sharing across your social platforms.
To add captions:
1. Download the app from the App Store.
2. Select "Camera" and push the text bubble in the bottom left corner to select the caption style you would like to use.
3. Hold down the pink record button. The captions will appear as you speak.
4. If you need to edit the caption when you are finished click the "Live Titles" button and edit as required.
Kapwing is a fun, easy to use online video editing tool that provides a bunch of handy features including adding captions (they call them subtitles - same difference).
To add captions:
1. Visit www.kapwing.com
2. Select "Add Subtitles To Video"
3. Upload your video or paste in a video URL
4. You'll be taken to the edit screen where you can add your subtitles.
5. When you are finished click "Create"
4. Your video is free to download with a "Kapwing" watermark. You can remove the watermark for a $2 payent or subscribe to monthly or annual plans for unlimited watermark free videos.
YOUTUBE TO CREATE FACEBOOK CAPTIONS
Youtube has a brilliant tool that lets you automatically generate captions for videos. Once you've created the caption file you can save it then upload it to Facebook in order to add captions to you Facebook videos. Awesome, right? There are quite a few steps involved to do it, but it's simple once you know how. Dan Knowlton from KPS Digital Marketing created a great tutorial video that explains how. Check it out.
VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE
If you want to go high-tech you can invest in video editing software. To be honest, I don't think there's a need to invest in expensive software if you're only creating video captions occasionally because the methods mentioned above work perfectly fine and they're free!
However, if you plan to produce and edit video regularly proper software could be the way to go. There are loads of different video editing packages on the market - some have a caption/subtitle feature and some don't so check before you buy! My software of choice is Camtasia because it's pretty simple to use and it's a lot cheaper than some of the other options.
DOWNLOAD 20 Video Ideas to Boost Engagement!
Subscribe to my newsletter to receive my articles, offers and social media tips. As a thank you, you can download this guide featuring 20 fun video ideas guaranteed to boost engagement!